Set up advertising as you need by using a handy tool for editing text in an XML feed. With the Find and Replace rule, you can replace, remove, or fix bugs on products across the entire feed. Let's show you how to use the rule and set it up for your online store.
1. Replacing text with new content
Let's look at the application of the Find and Replace rule. Example: you sell water filters, and you named a product as XYZ Filter Cartridge in the XML feed.
Create a rule that finds the phrase "Filter Cartridge" in the product names and replaces it with "Filter".
- In the Rules section, click the New Rule button.
- Name the rule and select the Find and Replace rule type.
- Select the element that contains the product description and enter the search text in the Find field.
- Fill in the new required text in the Replace field.
- Save the rule and check the new names in the Products section after regenerating the data.
2. Translating the selected text and replacing it with a new one
You can also use the rule when translating text that you need to replace with a new one. To create it, follow the same procedure as for the previous text replacement.
3. Deleting the unwanted text
The product name sometimes contains a term that search engines do not support – whether it is the word ACTION (XY filter – ACTION), the exclamation mark (XY filter !!!!), or the domain of your store (XY filter – www_filtersforeveryone_en). With the Find and Replace rule, you delete them.
- Select products that contain the word ACTION in the name.
- Create a new rule using the procedure above.
- In the Find box, type the word ACTION and leave the Replace box blank. The ACTION word thus disappears from the name.
4. Using a rule when creating macros
You can also use this rule in Mergado to create your macros. They do not yet include the option of creating more Find and Replace pairs – we plan to add a function.
6. Setting up multiple pairs in one rule
Use this option to apply the Find and Replace rule to multiple pairs at once, and you don't need to create separate rules for each combination. You can also use regular expressions for a quick search.
You can also set the rule for specific product queries. It brings benefits in the form of improved speed when synchronizing the store and reducing the risk of errors when replacing text in other categories.
Make it easier to edit the feed with Mergado. Try it for 30 days for free.