Manage to advertise centrally using configuration CSVs
Learn a new way to set up advertising in Mergado automatically and in bulk. Ever since we introduced the rule for importing data from CSV files, you can edit specific parts of your advertising from one place by creating configuration CSVs. Let’s see how you set everything up in a few minutes.
How to create bulk settings using CSV
Let’s explain everything with an example:
We need to set different CPCs for different hours of the day. We have an export for a comparison engine with a default CPC bid in the CPC element. We want to change its value over the day by multiplying the default CPC by a certain coefficient. Its amount will vary from hour to hour. We have several such exports, and we want to manage the coefficients centrally.
To create a configuration CSV, we must first get the current hour element into the products. In the same way, we can work with days of the week, month, and so on. We will use the Bidding Fox Elements application and turn on the BFE_D_EXECUTE_HOUR element. It will be filled with an integer value from 0 to 23 indicating the hour. E. g. at 15:24 is number 15.
Let’s create a CSV file that will contain columns:
- BFE_D_EXECUTE_HOUR numbers 0 — 23 indicating the hour
- CPC_COEF coefficient by which we will multiply the default value of CPC – in our case numbers with a decimal point
- separate columns with a comma
How to create a CSV
We will create a CSV in an ordinary text editor – e. g. Gedit, LibreOffice, Notepad, or the eM Files app.
How to get CSV on the Internet
The URL of the CSV file must be available, so we must place it on the Internet. The eM Files app will help us with this, which allows you to post the file to a public URL (with access by other users in Mergado) and make changes to it using its simple editor.
1. In the export for the coefficient, create a new element CPC_COEF.
2. Use the Import data file rule to import data from CSV into the CPC_COEF element.
- The pairing column is the BFE_D_EXECUTE_HOUR element.
- For example, if the time is 15:24, the BFE_D_EXECUTE_HOUR element contains a value of 15 for all item items.
- The number from line 15 is imported into the CPC_COEF element. In the case above, the number 1.2.
3. We assume that we have set a default CPC value before.
- To take into account the coefficient, we will use the calculation rule.
- Multiply the default CPC by CPC_COEF, i. e. %CPC% *%CPC_COEF%, and enter it in the CPC element.
And that’s all. The output value will now start to change according to the hour when the data is regenerated. The change in the configuration file will be reflected in many exports.
- You can share settings between exports — you will prepare one configuration file and use it repeatedly.
- Configuration can be linked to Bidding Fox Elements – hour, day of the week, etc.
- You can also use the principle of the central configuration CSV, for example, for transfers of clothing sizes or other tasks repeated on multiple exports.
You can handle this setting in a few minutes. Probably faster than how long it took you to read this guide.
Lukáš takes care of most of the Czech and English communication in Mergado. Through blogs, e‑mail, and social networks, he regularly supplies readers with e‑commerce news and news and tips from Mergado. In his time off, he enjoys simple things like badminton, digging the hidden gems of the 80’s, and seafood served with red wine.